complaintsWho can help me if I have a query or complaint?

If you are in any doubt about your LGPS benefit entitlements, or have a problem or question about your LGPS membership or benefits, please contact your Pension Fund administrator.  They will seek to clarify or put right any misunderstandings or inaccuracies as quickly and efficiently as possible.

If your query is about your contribution rate, please contact your employer’s Personnel/HR or Payroll section so they can explain how they have calculated your contribution rate.

If you are still dissatisfied with any decision made in relation to the Scheme you have the right to have your complaint independently reviewed under the Scheme’s Internal Disputes Resolution Procedure. There are also a number of other regulatory bodies that may be able to assist you.


Internal Disputes Resolution Procedure

Your Pension Fund administrator or your employer can supply you with a guide on the Internal Disputes Resolution Procedure and relevant time limits together with a form to fill in for Stage 1 appeals.

    • Stage 1: In the first instance you should write to the person nominated by the body who made the decision about which you wish to appeal.  You must do this within six months of the date of the notification of the decision or the act or omission about which you are appealing.  This is a formal review of the initial decision or act or omission and is an opportunity for the matter to be reconsidered.  The nominated person will consider your complaint and notify you of his/her decision.
    • Stage 2: If you are dissatisfied with that person’s decision you may apply to the Scottish Ministers for them to consider your complaint.  Under Stage 2 of the Internal Disputes Resolution Procedures, Scottish Ministers are asked to reconsider decisions reached by employers under the Local Government Pension Scheme (Scotland) Regulations.

Medical IDRP2 Application

Non-Medical IDRP2 Application


The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS)

TPAS is available at any time to assist members and beneficiaries of the Scheme in connection with any pension’s query they may have or any difficulty which they cannot resolve with their employers or Pension Fund administrators.  TPAS can be contacted at: 

11 Belgrave Road                                                                                                     
SW1V 1RB   
Telephone: 0845 601 2923

Pensions Ombudsman

In cases where a complaint or dispute cannot be resolved through the IDRP, an application can be made, within three years of the event to the Pensions Ombudsman for an adjudication.  The Ombudsman can investigate and determine any complaint or dispute involving maladministration of the Scheme or matters of fact or law and his or her decision is final and binding (unless the case is taken to the appropriate Court on a point of law).  It should be noted however that before the Ombudsman looks at a case he or she will expect it to have been considered in the first instance by TPAS, whose address is the same as that for the Ombudsman.  Matters where legal proceedings have already started cannot be investigated by the Pensions Ombudsman.  The Pensions Ombudsman can be contacted at:

11 Belgrave Road
Telephone: 0207 630 2200

The Pensions Regulator

This is the regulator of work-based pension schemes. The Pensions Regulator has powers to protect members of work-based pension schemes and a wide range of powers to help put matters right, where needed. In extreme cases, the regulator is able to fine trustees or employers, and remove trustees from a scheme. You can contact the Pensions Regulator at:

Napier House
Trafalgar Place
Telephone: 0870 6063636


Link to Scottish Government Website