Data Protection Legislation

What are your rights?

  • You have the right to obtain confirmation that your data is being processed, and access to your personal data
  • You have the right to object to processing in specific circumstances
  • Special right apply in relation to the processing of personal data in respect of children

Right of access

You have the right to access personal data that we hold. This right will normally operate so as to provide you with your personal data within one month. There is no fee, but we will ask you to prove your identity. There are some circumstances in which we may require more time to locate your information or where material cannot be provided, for example where disclosure might have an adverse impact upon on-going proceedings or where the personal data of other persons is also featured. In handling requests we will inform you of any such limitations placed upon the right of access and your right to appeal to the UK Information Commissioner.

Right to erasure

You have the right to request that we cease or limit our processing of your personal data. Please note that this right is unlikely to apply where processing remains necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected.

Right to rectification

You have the right to request that we correct or amend our records if you have reason to think that we have made a mistake in recording or processing your personal data, for example that it is inaccurate or incomplete.

How do I complain if I am not happy?

If you are unhappy with how your personal information is being processed , please contact the SPPA Data Protection Officer at:

Scottish Public Pensions Agency
7 Tweedside Park

Tel: 01896 892 469

If you are still not happy, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO):

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Tel: 0303 123 1113

Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Link to Scottish Government Website